Wednesday 25 August 2010

My first quilt

When I first got my sewing machine, last year, one of the main reasons was because I wanted to make a quilt. I spent many an hour at the end of 2009 looking online at quilting fabrics and found a company that I love called Moda who do lots of great fabrics. Not only do they do great fabrics but they do collections that you can get lots of fabrics that all go together. And what’s more you don’t have to buy masses of one fabric you can get different packets of small amounts of fabric from one collection. There is some strange jargon for the different shapes and sizes but some of the packs you can get are: Jelly Rolls, Charm packs, & Layer cakes.
I decided to use a Jelly Roll for my first quilting project. This contains 40 strips of 2.5 inch wide fabrics from one collection.
For Christmas I received 2 books with many quilt patterns for Jelly Rolls. I decided on a style, and then in January I bought the fabric I had been coveting for a couple of months. I used the collection called Eva. I had to also get some plainish fabric for backing to go along with the Jelly Roll to make the desired size.So after having the fabrics sitting around for months, my sister got some fabric to make a quilt for herself and started work on it. This really made me want to work on mine. Hence I decided I could take the time and make the quilt I wanted as a birthday present to myself. After spending a few evenings working on my quilt I took a day off of work and spent the whole day making my quilt. In the end I think it probably took me about 2 whole days to get the top part of my quilt finished. Now all I need to do is buy the wadding and backing and then I can finish the quilt. Jun 2010



I would place the bits over the living room floor to work out where I wanted it placed. Luckily I wasn't making the quilt any bigger because it fitted perfectly on the floor.




This is a section of my finished quilt top. It had a border on it and with that it didn't quite fit on the floor of my living room. Now I just need to add the batting and backing and do the quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment