Thursday 19 August 2010

Third time lucky

My first job to start off the New Year was to make a hat to go with my sister-in-law’s scarf I had made her for Christmas. Because I had made up the pattern for the scarf, I had to figure out how to use the same pattern to make a hat. I looked in a few books and online to find the best technique and then bought a cheap, small, ball of wall to give it a go. I was really pleased with the out come but it was quite small. I could only just about squeeze my head into it so figured I could give it to a child. When I mentioned the hat to one of my sisters she said she would have it. I was sceptical as to if it would fit, but I obviously have a big head because it fit her perfectly.

(Sorry, I don't appear to be able to find any pictures for this post at the moment. As soon as I do I'll post them)

Hat 1 info:
Wendy Mistral Chunky Shade 790
59 stitches
rows 1-6: Double rib using 6mm needles
row 7 onwards as follows using 8mm needles:
row 7: k1, p1 rep
row 8: p1, k1 rep
row 9: p1, k1 rep
row 10: k1, p1 rep
Continue rows 7-10 until hat is desired size ( I did 6 lots of the 4 rows)
After last row sew yarn end through loops of last row and pull in. Use this end to sew the sides together to make hat shape. I then sewed the top points together to gather in the top.

Once I knew how to make the hat I attempted it in the Sidar wool I used for the scarf but used more stitches. Unfortunately, I used too many and the hat was huge. Fortunately, big hats were quite the fashion so I kept that hat for myself.

Hat 2 info:
Sirdar Denim Chunky Shade 644
95 stitches
rows 1-8: double rib using 5mm needles
row 9 onwards as follows using 8mm needles:
row 9: k1, p1 rep
row 10: p1, k1 rep
row 11: p1, k1 rep
row 12: k1, p1 rep
Continue rows 9-12 until hat is desired size (I did 7 lots of the 4 rows)
Finish same as Hat 1.

As the saying goes ‘third time lucky’, at last I had made a hat the right size so this one went to the intended recipient.

Hat 3 info:
Sirdar Denim Chunky Shade 644
75 stitches
rows 1-7: double rib using 5mm needles
row 8 onwards as follows using 8mm needles:
row 8: k1, p1 rep
row 9: p1, k1 rep
row 10: p1, k1 rep
row 11: k1, p1 rep
Continue rows 8-11 until hat is desired size (I did 6 lots of the 4 rows)
Finish same as Hat 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment