Monday 20 September 2010

A gothic bag

I was asked to make a bag for a tween goth as a birthday present. I wasn’t really sure where to start apart from the fact I would use black fabric and accent it with red. I decided to use a rip technique. So began by backing black fabric (an old skirt that I don't wear anymore) onto red cotton using diagonal lines across the fabric. I made a simple messenger style bag, lined with red, fastened with a silver popper, and silver hoops on the sides for the handle to attach to. I then ripped the fabric between the diagonal lines. Although this did make quite a mess to start, as the black fabric was cord, with time the little bits of fluff will stop coming off and I loved the effect the ripping made. When it came to the handle I wasn’t sure what to do but finally decided to use a black chain (bought from B&Q) that I then wove some red, fraying, cotton through. Hopefully the bag met all the desired criteria. Sept 2010




1 comment: