Monday 20 September 2010

Sophie the doll

I wanted to make something different so I started scouring the web for ideas and came across the idea of a doll. When researching I found a type called Waldorf Dolls. These have a face that is not just flat, but that is shaped to be more life like. I bought a book and went from there. It is quite specialized and so it took me a while to find somewhere to get the ‘skin’ fabric. It’s also meant to be made from natural materials, but instead of the wool fibres they recommend I just used normal stuffing as I already had some.
The head shaping was quite tricky. I used a sock (new/unused) to stuff then tied some threads around it to make the indentations specified. When I was happy that it would work I got the rest of the things I would need including ‘skin’ fabric, doll making needles, and wool for hair.
I had some chopsticks (that I had never used) that I used for getting the stuffing into all the small spaces, and found that they did a really good job. Who needs to buy special sticks just to stuff toys?
The whole doll was pretty tricky to make, but the hair took forever, as it needed to be hand sewn (something I’m not such a fan of).
I used patterns from the previously bought doll book to make the clothes, but did adapt them slightly. I made the top from some cotton I have used in several other projects and the trousers were made from some linen trousers I no longer wore.
The doll was named Sophie by my niece (whose birthday present it was). June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment